starter

greenracing

Mike, do you have a template or measurements for drilling the bottom of the block for BBC starter mount? Did you just locate the starter on the flexplate and transfer the holes through the starter to the block?

Mike Canter

Yes just located the starter on the flexplate and drilled. If you make the mesh close then you can open it up with chevy starter shims

Blown540

A 130 tooth ATI flexplate (10DP, thick teeth) with a stock 12 volt Chrysler starter (mounted on the midplate) on 24 volts and never failed to start a blower motor with a 44 amp mag. Tried the 12 volt CSR and had pretty good luck (it never failed) with it, and tried the newer 24 volt CSR and burned it up the first try.

greenracing

Did it burn up the motor or the solenoid Jim? I tried running 24 to a CSR 12 (12 to the solenoid and 24 to the motor of course) and the solenoid welded itself closed after 2 or 3 cranks. It seemed like the solenoid was too slow to pull in and arced across the contacts.

We've run the stock Chrysler on 24 with no issues as well, always kept a spare but never needed it.

My buddy ran a big Meziere on 12 and surprisingly always started a mag 44 (using the pickup in the mag).

Blown540

I burnt the 24 volt starter motor up by cranking too long. I use the old Ford solenoid and run the 24 volts through it and have a jumper wire on the starter. Even my 12 volt CSR was good on 24 volts. I bought a high priced Meziere, but did not need it as the old stock Chrysler starter kept on starting on 24 volts and no troubles with it.
I have a Meziere and CSR 8 bolt hemi flexplate for sale if anyone needs one. Both in good condition-THANKS, Jim

Blown540

Has anyone tried the ATI 29.2 flexplate? They claim its good for 2500hp no problem...
I have used the ATI flexplate for 5 years in a ProMod (3.80s) and my friends has run them for 10 years in a top dragster (3.80s) and no problems ever. A very good product and very dependable-Thanks, Jim

1320metalman

Got it all wrked out, Meizerre pro mod 136t/10 pitch on tfx block w/o any pan mods or trimming on block.
Gonna work well, thx its

Last edited: