pro mod clutch

bne racing

With all the talk at the gators with clutch versus convertors I was wondering what clutch is everyone running? I think tutterow is running a leanders. Are they lock up? 10, 11 inch? 2 or 3 disc? leanders, crower, ram or others?

bne racing

i know for sure that todds nhra car runs a clutch, i believe its a leanders, rivenbarks vette has a convertor. they were talking to him at the gators and thats what todd said.

JGreen

You're correct, GT, no "lockups" allowed. The problem that I've heard from some of the converter teams is that they can never get 1to 1, which is why some teams have gone back to a clutch. I believe the difference between a conventional and a "lockup" clutch Is the ability to activate a solenoid to allow another set of fingers to move, which gives the tuner the ability to lock it up in command. Victor Bray ran a setup like this years ago and I think it was a crower clutch that he modified

bne racing

Im building a car and seriously considering putting one in is why im asking. The only thing that sucks is the amont of work. lol

Mike Canter

Are you building it to run NHRA Promod? Mike Janis uses a converter and has won numerous times in NHRA. I will never go back to a clutch. 65% of your maintenance time is spent on the clutch, you have to have a clutch grinding machine or enough discs and floaters to take you through the whole race. The same person has to work the clutch so it is always done the same way. Just as soon as you get the clutch tuneup correct then you need new discs and they will be different. They will swear up and down that the discs are the same but that is BS. To be really good you need to make just one run on a clutch then freshen it so you are consistent. You need to buy all the discs for the season at one time so they are all out of the same batch. The converter offers you consistency run after run and that is what wins a race not MPH. It is ET to the 330 that really counts and you can do that very well with a converter.

bne racing

No not going to run nhra, Whats the preffered convertor drive? bruno, quick drive, lenco drive? what about trans, lenco or b&j? whats the most affordable? A clutch would be less initial investmant but i suppose after buying discs that price skyrockets. Not really considering a lockup trans after hearing about the rear gear life.

Mike Canter

Both Coan and Chance are top units but also top dollar. You can get cheaper ones from PTC and from Spec Rite Torque Converters (530) 243-8300. We ran a Spec Rite in the car in Sweden for years with a screw blower with no problems. We run a Bruno with a Lenco CS2 and the Bruno will take a CS1 also. Janis uses a Quick Drive with a B&J with great success also. Tutterow used a Bruno for years until he developed his Tydrive which is great but big bucks. The Lencodrive are common also but I believe can only take a CS1 tranny. They are all good.

bne racing

I know steve jackson was running a 3sp rossler at the gators. to me it seems like anyone with a blown hemi/rossler combo always has problems. stevie lost high gear/reverse and lost first round because of it.

Mike Canter

Lol, Steve lost first round because Latino ran a .72 for the record. Even if Steve transmission had been good he could have run that unless Latino's reaction time was real slow. Don't think there was a blower car out there that could have run a .72.

bne racing

actually latino ran that .72 against coughlin in rd 2 and lost, i think he went .78 against stevie. still thought the quickest car there (latino) is running a leanders clutch.

Mike Canter

Latino ran a .779 in round one. This was the quickest ET in round one. Sorry about the brain fart. The DA was right around 1600 ft

bne racing

but in general wouldnt you agree that a clutch is quicker and more reliable than a convertor drive or turbo 400 type tranny? (non lockup)

Mike Canter

Nope, can't agree. Our 60fts are faster with a converter. PX cars with a converter are in the .80s on 60fts. MPH is a little faster with a clutch because less slippage but MPH don't win races. We ran 198mph with a converter at Bradenton and Jason Hamstra ran 201 mph in the eighth. As far as reliability in all the time we have run a converter we have had two problems that were both to do with the stator. A clutch can be reliable like the converter if regular maintence performed.

bne racing

ok mike you sold me on the convertor, I guess ill have to see what i can get a deal on, Im kinda interested in the setup you were talking about with the bruno and a cs2, is that trans strong enough? I always thought everyone with a blown hemi was running a cs1. what kind of difference in the cs1 vs 2