A980 whipple fuel system

Drew556

Have an A980 whipple with built in injector needing a base fuel tune up. I have jet area software I just have no idea what this thing will put out for boost at 92 over on a veney 526 hemi shifting at 9000. Any one you would recommend to send fuel system too that has whipple experience. Or any one have a good base line fuel tune up. Doesn't have to be the record setting tune up just something that can get me in the ball park I don't want to go blow stuff up trying to get a handle on it

Mike Canter

You are correct, that is really high OD for a Whipple. Not sure it is designed to run that fast. If I remember correctly 70% is close to max.

Drew556

We don't have to run at 92 over that's what the rules allow that's why I posted I have no idea where to start on overdrive or fuel system or what to expect for boost got some great information from Z06 think he has me pointed in the right direction

Mike Canter

I believe when they say 92% they are referring to PSI screw blowers and not Whipples. I would recommend staying below 70% on your whipple. Starting off at 60% would be better then graduate up to 70%. 60% on a Whipple is equal to 92% on a PSI

Z06

19,000 is name plate max RPM on both R and A 980 models. Rotors are heavy so to help I do a Ceramic Bearing upgrade and lighten the drive hub with Titanium bolts already drilled for safety wire I get out of the UK. At 19,000 RPM the rotor speed is about 520 MPH so even though not faster than the speed of sound the air may be exceeding it which can cause distribution problems in the manifold.

noiraude

Got an R980 from a funny car team in Finland.
They ran it on a 499 TFX at 62 to 65% over making 52 psi of boost at 10200 engine rpm.
1200 enderle pump,19.3 gpm @4000 pump rpm
Now these blowers are no longer allowed in alky classes in Europe.

Wayne Roberts

Nobody ever posts - after some inputs - what they did and did it work. Drew556 is my son and id just like to fill you all in on a A980 Whipple screw blower - yep just like a PSI screw blower - different brand and both are Lysholm compressors. The A980 has a builtin injector that sots really low - I can see OVER IT not under it. I started out at 73 over - because thats the easy way to get to 75 or under - 25 pulley up top and a 46 down under with a 14mmgt. I have been racing blown hemi outlaw door cars for 22 years - and have prior whipple experience. Soooo - with adequate fuel delivery and high compression I can compete - 3.74 and 198 mph at the recent Bowling Green Midwest Pro Mod series - which got me #3 qualifier in the fastest 16 car field ever - ever. With 32 pro mods at the track - well pretty proud of the crew! OK - whipple at 73 over - 1.73 x 9200 = 15916 rpm - well below max safe operating speed of 19,000 rpm. It works - its fast and at the Texas Motorplex MWPMS it ran three 3.77s in a row - within .002 thou on each pass - consistant I'd say as well. Soooo - at 1/2 the cost of a PSI screw my Whipple screw is a great deal for a low buck guy like me.